Skilled. Professional. Experienced.
Inquire about an appointment
For more information please call us at:
7737 Southwest Freeway
Houston, Texas 77074
Our cardiovascular surgery program is Houston’s first program to be established outside of the downtown medical center. Thirty years of maturity and experience has allowed our surgeons to develop one of the state’s most successful coronary artery bypass programs. Each surgeon has extensive experience in the very latest emerging technologies.
The size of our office and practice allows our patients to be seen in a timely fashion while our community location allows ease of access and parking. Because the patient is able to stay in their community, their families and referring doctors remain involved in their care. The cardiovascular surgery program at Memorial Hermann Southwest Texas Surgical Associates truly offers the best of both worlds.
Memorial Southwest Texas Surgical Associates’ five cardiovascular surgeons are able to specialize in new evolving technologies so that virtually any new proven procedure can be offered at our program. Please read about these new surgeries. Remember, these new treatments may not be recommended in every patient’s situation. That is where our surgeon’s experience, judgment and case selection differentiate us from others.
- Beating Heart SurgeryBeating Heart Surgery is coronary artery bypass surgery done without the use of cardiopulmonary bypass pump. With several years and hundreds of successful operations, our program is one of Houston’s most established programs. Ask your surgeon if this is best for you.
- Endovascular Harvesting of Leg VeinEndovascular harvesting of the leg vein allows coronary bypass to be done with nearly no leg incisions at all. Advantages with this technique may include less pain and fewer infections.
- Aortic Valve or Root ReplacementAortic valve or root replacement uses nonstented porcine or human cadaveric aortic valves to replace a patient’s diseased aortic valve. This allows better cardiac performance without blood thinners.
- Mitral Valve RepairMitral valve repair may avoid the need for mitral valve replacement in some patients. This allows fewer complications and no need for blood thinners. Our surgeons have experience with both posterior leaflet repair and the more difficult anterior leaflet repairs.
- Endovascular Stent Graft Exclusion of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm or ThoracicEndovascular stent graft exclusion of abdominal or thoracic aneurysms allows treatment of a life threatening aneurysm without an abdominal or thoracic incision. This produces less pain and less risk in patients with poor cardiac or pulmonary function.
- Surgery for Atrial FibrillationRadiofrequency ablation for atrial fibrillation can be added to coronary bypass or mitral valve repair for converting a patient in atrial fibrillation to sinus rhythm. This may allow cessation of a patient's long time reliance of blood thinners.
- Minimally Invasive Valve SurgeryMinimally invasive cardiac surgery is performed through smaller incisions. This may produce less pain and shorten recovery periods.
- CryoplastyLiquid nitrogen balloon angioplasty is used to dilate blockages in the arteries to the legs or arms. This procedure can salvage limbs that are progressing toward gangrene in a minimally invasive fashion.
- AtherectomyAtherectomy is a minimally invasive device that mechanically removes the plaque from a blocked or narrowed artery. This can avoid amputation in patients with advanced blockages.
- Fistula FirstFistula First is a Medicare sponsored initiative to use a dialysis fistula before other means of dialysis access. These more difficult techniques are now used exclusively by our surgeons. Our group is now recognized as the busiest fistula practice in the state of Texas.
Dharmraj A. Chauhan, M.D.Dr. Chauhan received his undergraduate degree from University of Michigan in 2005 and his Medical Degree from St.George’s University School of Medicine in 2010. He completed his internship and residency in general surgery at Morristown Medical Center in 2015 and […]
Luis G. Echeverri, M.D.Dr. Echeverri received his undergraduate and medical degree in 1982 at the National University of Colombia School of Medicine. He completed his surgery residency and worked as Assistant Professor of Surgery at Bogota’s National University until 1991. He completed his […]
Richard M. Alexander, M.D.Dr.Alexander received his undergraduate degree from Syracuse University in 1959 and his Masters Degree and Medical Degree from the University of New York Upstate in 1976. He completed his internship and residency in general surgery at the University of Texas […]
Robert T. Baldwin, M.D.Dr. Baldwin received his undergraduate degree at Stanford University in 1981 and his medical degree at Baylor College of Medicine in 1985. He completed a general surgery internship and residency at Baylor College of Medicine in 1990. He completed fellowships […]
Non-Invasive Vascular Clinic
Memorial Hermann Southwest Texas Surgical Associates is proud of their outcomes with vascular surgery. One of Houston’s first programs to offer conventional open surgery combined with newer endovascular techniques such as stenting and stent-grafting, our surgeons offer virtually all legitimate forms of vascular treatments.
Heart & Vascular Institute
The Memorial Hermann Southwest Heart and Vascular Institute was created by Memorial Hermann Southwest Hospital and nearly forty of Houston’s top cardiologists and cardiovascular surgeons with the goal of focusing on the treatment of diseases of the heart and blood vessels.
- Was referred for poor circulation in both legs. He talked me through each procedure, showed me pics of damage, and then proceeded to correct. Awesome Dr and Ofc Staff to include hospital staff. Very satisfied!- A Happy Patient